I truly do think it’s unfortunate that the art of reciting a proper “toast” is a lost tradition.
Only at weddings do we hear the occasional “Cheers!” but a toast (when it’s done right) can make an otherwise forgettable “clink” of glasses that ever-the-more memorable. For this reason, if you’re going to attempt a toast, I recommend it be short, witty and appropriate to the situation (NB: you may want to skip toast #10 in any formal gathering)!
The history of toasting can actually be traced back to the ancient Greek practice of raising goblets in the air (to the gods) to ensure the wine was not poisoned. However, the actual term “toast” came from the Roman practice of adding a burnt piece of bread to inferior wines in order to reduce their acidity. (NB: I felt like adding a piece of burnt bread to a glass of wine I had last night…but that’s another story)
I spent a little time scouring the Information-Super-Highway, and these are my 10 favorite wine toasts from what I could find:
10. Here’s to all of your friends: they know you far too well, and they still like you!
9. May you live as long as you want to. And may you want to as long as you live!!
8. A meal without wine is like a day without sunshine.
7. Accept that some days you’re the pigeon. And some days you’re the statue.
6. Here’s Champagne to our real friends and real pain to our sham friends.
5. To the land we love, and the love we land!
4. May bad fortune follow you all of your days. And never catch up with you!
3. I would like to make a toast to lying, stealing, cheating and drinking. If you’re going to lie, lie for a friend. If you’re going to steal, steal a heart. If your going to cheat, cheat death. And if you’re going to drink, drink with me.
2. May friendships, like wine, improve as time advances. And may we always have old wine, old friends, and young cares.
1. Here’s to you and here’s to me. The best of friends we’ll ever be. And if we ever disagree. Well, f*ck you and here’s to me.